|YOUTH PROGRAMS DIRECTOR |
NEW ORLEANS BOULDER LOUNGE
At New Orleans Boulder Lounge, our goal is to provide New Orleans with a climbing/fitness destination and social space for the entire community. Our role as staff is to foster a space that is welcoming, inclusive, and fun. Each staff person is an important part of this process because their work directly influences the experience of members and guests and the culture of the gym on a daily basis.
Our mission is to create an inclusive environment that fosters an active, healthy lifestyle and encourages personal and communal growth. Climbing is a beautiful sport and wonderful fitness activity, but the value and benefits go far beyond the physical. Climbing brings people together and quickly forms communities.
NOBL aspires to provide a safe and equitable climbing space for all people. Our hope is to build a climbing community that represents our New Orleans community at large, and to develop a staff and leadership team that represents our community.
New Orleans Boulder Lounge is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, physical or mental disability, or age. People of color, women, LGBTQIA people and people born and raised in New Orleans are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
About the position
The Youth Programs Director is a leader and mentor who is very hands-on by nature and a problem solver. The ideal candidate is someone who has a passion for having fun and connecting with kids and their families. This person is also someone who is fanatical about youth sports & fitness and is eager to share that obsession with the local climbing community.
The ideal candidate will be the ambassador for NOBL and the Turtles Climbing Team brand. The Youth Programs Director is the facilitator of the well-being of their local youth community through the medium of education and interaction with the New Orleans Boulder Lounge and its programming.
JOB FOCUS AREAS:
- Curriculum Development
- Lead NOBL in the development of curriculum related to all youth programming – camps, school enrichment programming, after-school programming, junior and rec team coaching, and creation of new programs.
- Work with the Director of Climbing on curriculum development as it pertains to competitive climbing teams.
- Find ways to consistently review curriculum to make sure that all programming is up to date, innovative, and meets the gym’s culture standards.
- Staff Management
- Recruit, hire, train, and manage all Youth Department staff.
- Collaborate with the Management Team to train and assist all staff with the necessary information to show/tell/embody the NOBL Youth Department.
- Ensure that all emergency action planning with kids’ programming is adhered to and policies and procedures are followed in the Youth Department.
- Family-Gym Relations
- Represent the gym in all interactions with families that have children’s memberships or any interaction with camps, school-based programs, or climbing teams.
- Supervise all staff interactions with parents and step in to help when needed.
- Find ways to reach out to non-climbing team members to encourage participation in the various programming options that NOBL is providing.
- Gym management
- Act as a vital part of the leadership team of the overall gym – be involved in gym-wide decision making, strategy, and planning.
- Along with other members of the management team, provide general oversight, staff management, and facility management for all departments when needed, specifically when at the gym and when gym-wide events are being planned for and executed. Provide direct management, when appropriate, to staff that are not necessary your direct reports.
- Embody the NOBL culture and mission to all staff, members, users, and other people who interact with the gym.
- Attend weekly management staff meetings with other members of the management team.
- Work cross-departmentally, within the facility and with fellow Youth Programs staff.
- Create a unique climbing and community experience for both children and parents.
- Interact with and work to build partnership groups and any organizations that engage youth and the facility.
- Ensure professional conduct for any employee of NOBL, acting as a positive role model for team climbers and patrons always.
- Make improvements to programming, scheduling, staffing and pricing with support and co-creation from the other members of the management team.
- Be a local market expert as it relates to youth programming competition and/or potential partners.
- Be accountable for all records pertaining to the operations of Youth Programming.
- Be responsible for planning and executing Youth events.
- This position is supervised by the Director of Operations and will supervise the entire Youth Department.
- A positive and upbeat attitude.
- Experience writing instruction / coaching curriculum.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Up to date First Aid/CPR/AED and background checks (on yourself and your employees).
- A love for climbing, other outdoor activities, and the kids and families you work with at the gym.
- Energy, excitement, care, courage, and decisiveness.
- Inspiration by setting and achieving tough, demanding goals and by continually raising the bar.
- An open and direct demeanor while remaining approachable in personal style and supervision.
- Free membership for employees and their household.
- Discounts on programming and retail.
- Generous paid time off policies.
- Generous parental leave policy.
- Great management team atmosphere, a wonderful staff, an engaging membership base, and a fun place to work.
For more information or to submit an application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include a resume, cover letter, and three references with your application.